8.28.2013

S'mores Rice Krispie Treats

.  Hi all!

Like I promised, I do have one last [what I would call] summer goodie for you all.  And after this week, things will start to once again get a little crazy around here, so we might as well get right to it.


I actually made these rice krispie treats a couple of weeks back for our dog sitter when I went back to Omaha for Hollyann's wedding shower [pictures and details to come, just one of the many things I'd like to fill everyone in on!].  Having never met the dog sitter, who literally stayed in our apartment all weekend watching the pups, I felt like something 'classic' would be my best bet.  And be it the end of the summer and they hadn't made their 2013 debut yet, s'mores it was!

Unfortunately, these krispie treats got some mixed reviews.  Half of the people absolutely chowed them, while a select few said they were a bit bland.  Bland in that the rice krispie part didn't have enough chocolatey flavor.  But I guess I thought a whole cup of chocolate chips in an 8x8-inch pan would suffice...!


My personal opinion?  When it gets down to it, if you like regular rice krispie treats, then you will most definitely like these addicting suckers.  Let's review why...

I loved the chewy yet crunchy rice krispie bar studded with chocolate chips and graham cracker pieces and roasted 'mallows nestled within each and every bite.  And did I mention that ooey-gooey pull apart-ness you can only get with the one and only rice krispie treat?  And since summer is nearly over, this summer classic with a twist is truly a perfect way to end the season.


Anywho, as I mentioned above, our schedules are about to get hectic once again.  There seemed to be a lull of about...a week...but starting this weekend we're back at it.  I'll be heading to MN to see the fam-bam while Robbie will be heading down south to Winfield, KS, for his cousin's wedding.  A couple of weeks following the long Labor Day weekend, we'll be heading to Omaha for Robbie's friend's wedding and Danny's baptism.  Then the next weekend we'll be heading right back to Omaha for Hollyann's wedding reception.  After that final weekend in early October, things should slow down a bit before the whirlwind of holidays hits.  And along the way, things will probably start to focus a little more on us and our own wedding we have yet to plan.

Whew.  2013, you've been a ride!  .


Adapted from The Baker Chick

Ingredients:
3 c. rice krispie cereal
4 graham cracker sheets, broken into bite-sized pieces
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. butter

Directions:
  1. Spray an 8x8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the rice krispie cereal, graham cracker pieces, and chocolate chips.  Reserve 1 cup of mini marshmallows and set aside.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add remaining marshmallows and stir until mixture is thick and marshmallows are completely melted.
  4. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the large bowl with the rice krispie mixture and use a spatula to stir it all together.  Press into an even layer in the prepared pan.
  5. Turn on the oven broiler.  Evenly spread the reserved marshmallows over the top of the rice krispie bars.  Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown [watch carefully!] and remove from oven.
  6. Allow bars to cool in the fridge for half an hour before serving.
Yield: 16 bars


post signature

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love finding new s'more recipes :)

    You definitely have a lot going on in the next few months, but they all sound like great times....especially planning your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like S'mores are everywhere these days. This is so creative and different. I bet they taste delicious!

    I'd love to see you at my weekly link party, Manic Monday.

    Renea - http://cupcake-n-bake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like we shouldn't trust people who don't like these bars. I like them from the ingredients alone...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: