11.12.2011

Flakey Apple Turnovers


. Alright, I'll admit it.  I'm super excited about this one.  Mmhmm, super excited.  Not only because the recipe turned out 10x's better than I was expecting, but also because I combined a couple of recipes to create one outrageous treat.

Remember how I mentioned I had made three things during my parents' Halloween visit?  Well, I did.  Baked Cinnamon French Toast and Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, just in case you needed to be reminded.  And this here was the third baking extravaganza.  Yes, they took a little more effort than the super quick items I just mentioned, but OoOOo, they were so very worth it.  Hence, the excitement to share my Flakey Apple Turnovers with you all!


There are a couple more prep steps involved, but nothing too hard.  All these require are a little patience [which I tend to not have many a time!] and tender, loving care.  Let me describe, to the best of my ability, these lovely little goodies.

First, we start off with a flakey, flakey outside crust.  MMmMmMMM...just like you would imagine any type of wonderful turnover from some renowned bakery.  A crust that has the ever-so-slight-crunchy exterior but once you take a bit, the crust seems to melt away in your mouth.  Yes, that flakey.  In all honestly, the crust kind of reminded me of an amped up pop-tart, especially in flavor.  But quality?  Incomparable ☺


Then, in that same bite, your mouth will come across a subtly sweet, gooey mixture of apples and delicious apple butter.  Spiced with a striking flavor of cinnamon.  And every bite or so, you'll get a luscious pop of apple tartness.

Apples, butter, cinnamon-sugar, and flakey crust?  Sign me up!

Now do you understand why I was so eager to share these with you?  If not, take a little time to create these heavenly bites and then get back to me .


My Notes:
  • Since the dough spends a good amount of time in the refrigerator, you'll need to plan a little ahead to make these.  I made the dough the night before and let it refrigerate overnight.
  • When you're ready to roll the dough out for a second time to cut out shapes, don't unfold the dough.  This layering creates the flakey levels you'll find once the turnovers bake.
  • I cut my turnovers into about 3x3-inch squares (and some circles using a 3-7/8-inch cookie cutter), but you're free to cut them in whichever shapes you'd like at whatever size.  Just remember to adjust the amount of filling you place in them and watch the baking time.
  • I chose to use a combination of Macintosh and Granny Smith apples.  I especially liked these together because I got both a sweet and tart mix, which was divine!



    Ingredients:
    Dough:
    1 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. sugar
    4 c. all purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces


    Apple Filling:
    4 large apples
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 c. apple butter
    1 large egg

    Final Touches:
    1 large egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
    Sugar (for sprinkling)

    Directions:
    1.  For the dough, stir the sour cream and sugar together; set aside.


    2.  Whisk flour and salt together in a large bowl, then toss butter bits over flour and working with pastry blender (or fingertips), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.



    3.  Gently stir in sour cream mixture using fork (dough will be very soft).  Divide dough in half and put each half onto piece of plastic wrap and use plastic wrap to shape dough into rectangle.  Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.



    4.  Remove one piece of dough and roll into 9x18-inch rectangle.  Fold the rectangle into thirds, wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.  Repeat with second rectangle of dough.




    5.  When ready to make the turnovers, peel, core and cut apples into 1-inch cubes.


    6.  In large skillet, stir together sugar and 1/4 cup of water.  Cooke over medium heat until mixture turns to a golden brown caramel (about 7 minutes).  Add apples cubes and cook until golden and tender (about 5 to 7 minutes).


    7.  Strain the mixture, discarding liquid.  In a medium bowl, combine apple cubes and apple butter; fold together to coat apples evenly.


    8.  Heat oven to 375°F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

    9.  Roll out one piece of dough to 1/8-inch thick, and cut out turnovers as desired.  Gather scraps and reroll dough to cut out remaining shapes.  Place cut-outs onto prepared pan.



    10.  Place scant 1 teaspoon of apple filling into center of cut outs.


    11.  Fold turnovers in half, sealing edges by pressing them together with a fork or fingers.  


    12.  Brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar.  Bake 20 minutes or until turnovers are puffed, firm to the touch and golden.  Gently transfer to wire rack to let cool.


    Yield: 2 dozen turnovers

    8 comments:

    1. You did a really beautiful job with these. I made my first pie crust last weekend so I might tackle this recipe. My grandma always made pear tarts for the holidays. I might have to show up with these apple turnovers for old times sake. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Boy the perfect dessert for fall. I cannot wait to try your recipe. Looks so delicious. Come visit us. We have a terrific mulled cider recipe and a legacy cookbook today!

      ReplyDelete
    3. These are way to cute! This recipe looks like another winner. Can't wait to try this.

      ReplyDelete
    4. So very nice and yummy looking. Love your tutorial and it is now on the top of my cooking file, my family will absolutely love these!!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. These look so yummy. I can't wait to make them!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I love that there is sour cream in the dough! These look flaky and delicious. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

      ReplyDelete
    7. @carolinaheartstrings I reallllly love these, let me know if you end up trying them out. I love to hear about others' experiences!

      @kyleen Thanks, Kyleen! They were super fun to make and I, too, love their petiteness. I'd love to hear if you end up making these!

      @ZiaMaria Oh wow, that's great! I know you'll love these and I hope my pictures help out with any questions. Stop back to let me know if you make these!

      @momentum They are definitely delish! Thanks for the comment :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Delicious!!! You did an awesome job :) Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    Blog Design By: