3.29.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: French Breakfast Puffs

. Easter is JUST around the corner (i.e., a month away...but so what!) and if you're like [crazy] me, you've already begun to plan what you'll be having for that weekend.  There's a great possibility that my family will be visiting from Minnesota and we all know how their last holiday visit went (cough, my dad claims he lost weight due to the lack of food in my house, cough).  So I'm sure as ever not going to let that happen again!

As I mentioned, my mind has already begun reeling about all of the goodies I [hopefully] would like to bake, mainly covering breakfast and dessert.  I guess they'll have to fend for themselves when it comes to the other meals.  Sorry dad, I can only do so much ☺  But I definitely want to have things around the house my family can snack on [instead of apparently starving], which brought me to one of my favorite recipes that was given to me by my lovely mother, French Breakfast Puffs.  I truthfully can't even tell you where she got this recipe, but all I know is that I fell in love with these the very first time she ever made them!

These little creations are oh, so simple yet crazily slightly addictive.  They're basically a small puff [obviously] of doughnutty-textured-delicately-spiced cake with a kiss of butter on top and rolled in a delicious mixture of cinnamon and sugar.  See.  Simple, huh?!  I just imagine these sitting on the counter throughout the weekend, their numbers slowly dwindling as the hours days pass by.  Perfect as a morning breakfast goodie with a steaming hot cup of coffee.  Mm, Mm, Mm!

So here I give you my first of many Easter goodies for you to try out that special weekend...or any other day for that matter!  Bon appetit! .

French Breakfast Puffs


Ingredients:
Muffins:
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. butter
2 eggs
3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. milk

Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.  Grease regular-sized muffin cups.  
  2. In large bowl, cream sugar and butter together (about 3 minutes).  Add eggs and beat to combine.
  3. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
  4. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
  5. With a few minutes left before the muffins are done baking, melt the butter.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.  
  6. Remove muffins from oven and immediately dip tops in melted butter and then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Repeat with the remaining muffins.
Yield: 24 muffins

2 comments:

  1. Your mom got the recipe out of an older Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been making these for at least 35 years.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: